FORREST [Lieut-Col Charles Ramus].
A Picturesque Tour along the Rivers Ganges and Jumna in India.
- London: R. Ackermann, 1824.
- Abbey Travel 441; Tooley 227; Prideaux, pp. 248; Martin Hardie, pp. 109-10; Colas 888; Lipperheide 1486; Bobins 244, SPL 1461
- 26 + 1
Folio; full red morocco; gilt rule to boards; Raised bands in gilt to spine; lettered in gilt to compartments 2 & 4; all edges gilt; decorative gilt inner dentelles; 4to, title with hand coloured aquatint vignette on title, folding engraved map, 26 hand coloured aquatint plates by T. Sutherland and G. Hunt after Forrest, hand coloured aquatint vignette at end of text, this copy extra-illustrated with ORIGINAL WATERCOLOUR of the Palace of Delhi by Forrest, the view was taken from the principal mosque in Delhi, dated 28.4.1809, signed CRF No. 32 and laid down as a frontispiece, later half morocco, spine gilt in compartments. Plates engraved by T. Sutherland, G. Hunt, after Forrest. Apart from the additional vignette on the title-page there is an unsigned aquatint vignette “Sicre Gully Pass, between Bengal and Bahar”. The book was originally published in parts. A Prospectus of the book in a catalogue of Ackermann’s for 1824 states: To be published in Six Monthly Numbers, price 14s. each… A few copies printed on Atlas 4to price 21s per Number. This was intended as a companion to Ackermann’s Tours of the Rhine and Seine. An Italian edition was published containing a title-page, six pages of text and the plates as the English edition and a Spanish one in 1827.
Coloured plates on order:
**Original Watercolour** Palace of Delhi.
1. Title page.
2. Hindoo Pagodas below Barrackpore on the Ganges.
3. Hindoo Village on the Ganges near Ambooah.
4. Ghaut of Cutwa on the Ganges.
5. Part of the City of Moorshedabad, ancient capital of Bengal.
6. Mountains of Rajemahal.
7. The Motee Girna, or Falls in the Rajemahal Hills.
8. The Rock of Colgong.
9. Ancient Tomb at the confluence of the Boglipore Nulla and the Ganges.
10. A Village on the Ganges above Boglipore.
11. The Fakeer's Rock at Janguira near Sultanguni.
12. Village and Pagoda below Patna Azimabad on the Ganges.
13. Hindoo Ghaut on the Ganges below Benares.
14. City of Benares from the Ganges.
15. Sacred Tank and Pagoda near Benares.
16. Mahomedan Mosque and Tomb near Benares.
17. The Indian Fort of Chunargurh on the Ganges.
18. Raj Ghaut and Fort of Allahabad, at the confluence of the Ganges and Jumna Rivers.
19. Tombs of Etaya in the Dooab on the Jumna River.
20. Surseya Ghaut, Khanpore.
21. City of Lucknow, Capital of Province of Oude on the Goomty River.
22. Palace of the King of Delhi, taken from the principal Mosque.
23. The Cuttus Minar in the Ruins of Ancient Delhi.
24. Grand Gateway and Tomb of the Emperor Acber at Secundra.
25. The Taj Mahal, Tomb of the Emperor Shah Jehan and his Queen.
26. Sicre Gully Pass between Begal and Bahar. (Small vignette view below last page of text.)