WILLYAMS, Rev. Cooper.
A Voyage up the Mediterranean in His Majesty's Ship the Swiftsure...
- London: for John Hearne, 1802.
- Abbey Travel 196; Bobins 172.
FIRST EDITION. Folio, 43 hand coloured aquatint plates, on large paper, contemporary green straight grained morocco, elaborately double borders in gilt to boards, spine with raised bands and gilt compartments, lettered in gilt, all edges gilt. Bookplate of 'Norman. R. Bobins' to front pastedown & signature of 'S.G. Smith, 1822 Goldings' to top of dedication page. Willyams was the Chaplain on the H.M.S. Swiftsure, and the plates in this work are after his own drawings. This is a splendid book, the plates are beautifully done, and the subjects have a wonderful variety. The text is lively in style, and touches on everything one might find interesting; history, military, theology, modern manners and customs etc.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Engraved dedication page.
2. [Map] A Chart of the Mediterranean...
3. Scylla, on the Coast of Calabria.
4. Landing place at Syracuse.
5. Temple of Minerva, Syracuse.
6. Caverns near Syracuse.
7. Entrance into Dionysius Ear.
8. Inside of a Cavern near Syracuse.
9. Grand place, at Syracuse.
10. Garden and Monastery of the Capuchins near Syracuse.
11. Curious Cemetery under the Capuchin Monastery, near Syracuse.
12. [Map] Plan of the Battle of the Nile on 1st Aug, 1798.
13. Tower of Marabou, Egypt.
14. Moors on board the Swiftsure.
15. Aboukir Castle from the Island.
16. The Arsenal at Rhodes.
17. Arabs on board the Swiftsure.
18. The Attack of the Turkish Gun-boats on the Castle of Aboukir.
19. Attack on the French Camp near Aboukir.
20. Antiques from Aboukir Island.
21. A Mamaluke delivering a message from Mourad Bey.
22. The Pharos at Alexandria.
23. A Street in Caiffe.
24. The Bay of Acre, from the Top of Carmel.
25. Caiffe and Mount Carmel.
26. Agriculture in Syria.
27. Hassan Bey's Palace at Rhodes.
28. Mount Pelegrino, near Valermo.
29. The Castle and Town of Ischia.
30. View at Lago, in the Island of Ischia.
31. Palazzo di Aqua viva, near Lago.
32. Val Ombrosa, on the Apennines.
33. Cubillario on the Apennines.
34. Grand Canal and the Rialto, Venice.
35. View on Lago di Guarda.
36. Flying Bridge on the Po.
37. Grand Parade, Mahon.
38. Inhabitants of Minorca.
39. The Bay of Fournelles.
40. Entrance to the Spanish Church, Gibraltar.
41. Inside of a Gallery, Gibraltar.
42. Interior of Poca Roca Cave.
43. St. Michael's Cave, Gibraltar.