GUERARD, Eugene Johan Joseph von.
Australian Landscapes. A Series of Lithographs illustrative of the most striking and pictorial Landscape Scenery of Victoria 1866-68.
- Melbourne: Hamel & Ferguson, 1867.
- Waintrup 257, Bobins 1111.
FIRST EDITION. Oblong folio, 24 tinted lithographs, plus title, each with a leaf of descriptive text, in original full red morocco, with title and the Australian coat-of-arms in gilt on upper board. Decorative gilt panelling to boards and to newly relaid spine, all edges gilt. Fresh endpapers. Marbled endpapers and bookplate of 'Villiers Hatton' to front pastedown. Boards newly dyed and polished. One of the most splendid of Australian colour plate books, and a great achievement by one of that nation's most important artists. Von Guerard's paintings, made during his first 15 years in Australia, create a series of views of outstanding quality. He made and lithographed his own drawings, with the result that there is an accurate and intentional relationship between the original painting and the finished printed views. A rare work, that has always been in demand since its first appearance. This work has been said to mark the end of the topographical plate book tradition. Rebinding and restoration work on this book was carried out by Ron Norman of Hartlepool (Ronnorn@aol.com)
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page.
2. Source of the Wannon, Victoria.
3. The Valley of the Ovens River, Victoria.
4. Fall of the first Creek, near Glen Osmond, South Australia.
5. N.E. View from the top of Mount Kosciusko, N.S.W.
6. Castle Rock, Cape Schank, Victoria.
7. Hobart Town, Tasmania.
8. Weatherboard Fall, N.S.W.
9. Murray River, Moorundi, South Australia.
10. Junction of the Buchan and Snowy River, Gippsland, Victoria.
11. Ben Lomond, Epping Forest, Tasmania.
12. Crater of Mount Gambier, South Australia.
13. Lake Illawarra, N.S.W.
14. Ferntree Gully, Dandenong Ranges, Victoria.
15. South End of Tasman's Island, Tasmania.
16. Cabbage tree Forest, American Creek, N.S.W.
17. Crater of Mount Eccles, Victoria.
18. Top of Mount Lofty, near Adelaide, South Australia.
19. Cataracts, near Launceston, Tasmania.
20. Moroka River Falls, foot of Mount Kent, Gippsland, Victoria.
21. Mount Koscuisko, from the North West, N.S.W
22. Reedy Creek Falls, near Beechworth, Victoria.
23. Sydney Heads, N.S.W.
24. Forest, Cape Otway Ranges, Victoria.
25. Goulbourn River, near Shepparton, Victoria.