Graphic Scenes of the Japan Expedition.
- New York: G.P. Putnam & Co., 1856.
- Bennett, p.53; McGrath, American Colour Plate Books 123; Bobins 291.
- XL=elephant folio
FIRST EDITION. Folio, vignette title, original wrappers rebuked in brown moire cloth 10 lithographic plates (A portait of Perry after a daguerreotype by P. Haas, views by Heine, of which 2 are chromolithographs, and 7 printed in two colours) in a modern half blue morocco backed cloth box with gilt rule and gilt to spine. Heine was the official artist seconde to Commodore Perry's expedition to Japan. "The plates are beautiful Japanese scenes and places of special interest, many times finer than in the 3 vol account of the Perry Expedition" (Bennett).
List of plates:
1. Portrait of Commodore M.C. Perry.
2. Macao from Penha Hill.
3. Pagoda of Whampoa.
4. Old China Street in Canton.
5. Kung-Twa, at On-Na, Lew Chew.
6. Mia, or Roadside Chapel, at Yoku-Hama.
7. Temple at Ben-Teng, in the Harbour of Simoda.
8. Street and Bridge at Simoda.
9. Temple of Ha-Tshu-Man-Ya Tschu-Ro, at Simoda.
10. Grave-Yard at the Simoda, Dio Zenge.