WAKEFIELD, Edward Jerningham.
Illustrations to Adventures in New Zealand [...] lithographed from original drawings taken on the spot...
- London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1845.
- Ellis, early prints of NZ 343-361; Abbey Travel 588; Hocken p.21; Bobins 335.
FIRST EDITION. Oblong folio, vignette title, 20 hand coloured lithographed plates on thin card, comprising 5 folding panoramas on conjoined sheets, 10 plates printed two to a sheet, 5 printed on a single sheet. Quarter red calf, over moire cloth, gilt to spine. MS ownership signature to front free endpaper. Board extremities rubbed and worn, top and tail of spine rubbed, worn and slightly damaged.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page. View of Mount Egmont an the Sugar Loaf Islands.
2. Warepori or "Dark House."
3. Epuni or "Greedy."
4. A Sawyer's Clearing in a Forest of Kauri (commonly called Cowdie). Trees on the Banks of the Haipara River.
5. Port Nicholson, from the Hills above Piston , in 1840.
6. The Harbour of Port Nicholson and the Town of Wellington, 1842. Thorndon Flat / Te Aro Flat (large folding panorama).
7. Court yard in Pipitea Pa at Wellington / Hiko, the Son of Te Pehi Kupe (Tupai Cupa).
8. The Town of Petre on the Wanganui River, Sept. 1841.
9. The Town and part of the Harbour of Nelson in 1842 (large folding panorama).
10. The Level Country at the South End, looking North of Blind Bay (double page).
11. Plain of the Ruamahanga, opening into Palliser Bay near Wellington. The Snowy range in the distance (large folding panorama).
12. The Town of New Plymouth, 1843. Mouth of the Uatoki River (large folding panorama).
13. Wahi Tapu or Burial Place.
14. Wata, or Provision House, at Otumatua on the North Shore of Cook's Strait.
15. Procure Harbour and Parramata Whaling Station, Nov. 1843.
16. The Titoki (Forest tree).
17. The Taua (Large Forest tree).
18. The Tutu (Commonly called Toot) in flower.
19. The Rata in flower.
20. The Phormium Tenax, or NZ Flax.