Journal of a Landsman from Portsmouth to Lisbon.
- London: Thos. MacLean, 1831.
- Abbey Travel 414; Bobins supplementary list 08/14.
4to, contemporary brown cloth, title in gilt o upper board, rebacked in quarter tan cloth. Boards faded and stained. A SCARCE BOOK. 23 hand coloured lithographic plates, plus frontispiece.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. Landsman getting on board H.M.S.
2. After Cabin - Captain's Drawing Room.
3. The Author's first dinner in the Ward Room during a heavy swell.
4. Turning In.
5. A Lee Lurch.
6. Quarter less Seven (vignette in text).
7. After Dinner in the Captain's Cabin.
8. Very well - thus (vignette in text).
9. All hands take in sail a-hoy (vignette in text).
10. Two men drunk Sir ( vignette in text).
11. Rig of the Portuguese Fishing Boat (vignette in text).
12. Rolling & Pitching.
13. Getting up.
14. Cape St. Vincent (vignette in text).
15. Plumb Pudding nautically called Duff. The Ships boys Zealous for their respective Masters.
16. Major M --- at Breakfast. A weather Roll - After Cabin.
17. Captain of the fore-top in his element (vignette in text).
18 .Captain of the fore-top at the galley (vignette in text).
19. The Ballet between Decks.
20. Dancing a-hoy (vignette in text).
21. The Chorus Singers.
22. Sad consequence of visiting the deck at sunrise.
23. Effect of the Adjuda Palace at a distance.
24. Steady Marines by the Right Dress. A sudden squall during drill.