Sketches in the Pacific. The South Sea Islands.
- London: Thomas McLean, 1851.
- Abbey Travel 601; Not in Tooley; Ferguson 15656A; Hill (2nd ed) 1564; Kroepelien 1189; O'Reilly-Reitman 1125; Bobins 1124 & 331.
Folio, plate of facsimile signatures and 25 lithographed plates. In original blue cloth with 1/4 red cloth spine neatly repaired, red and gilt titling to centre of upper board with complex borders. Book plate of 'Norman R. Bobins' to front pastedown. Original MS letter by the author tipped in at beginning. A beautiful copy of one of the great illustrated books of the South Pacific. SCARCE. Shipley sailed from Valparaiso on the 'Calypso' in the February of 1848. During the next few months he visited Pitcairn, Tahiti, Fiji and Samoa. He describes and illustrated each of the four places with lovely lithographs - evoking a world of paradise islands.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page.
2. School House and Chapel, Pitcairns Island.
3. Christians House, Pitcairns Island.
4. Bounty Bay, Pitcairns Island.
5-6. Papeite Bay, Tahiti.
7. Toup Nicolas' Island, Papiete, Tahiti.
8. Papeite Bay, Tahiti.
9. Houtoua Valley, Tahiti.
10. View in the Houtoua or Fatana Valley, Tahiti.
11. Queen Ariipeas house. Huahine.
12. Coral Church at Papetoai, Eimeo.
13. Mission house, Papetoai, Eimeo.
14. Taloo Bay, Eimeo.
15. Queen Pomare's house, Papeite.
16. Anchorage of Fare. Huhuhine, Society Islands.
17. The settlement of Oaitape, Bora Bora, Society Islands.
18. 'Te ara-Brooma'. Bora Bora.
19. H.M.S. Calypso leaving Bora Bora.
20. Apia bay. Upolu, Samoan Islands.
21. Native Bridge near Vailele. Upolu, Samoan Islands.
22. Village of Letongo. Upolu, Samoan Islands.
23. The Missionary Station at Mbua. Sandalwood Bay, Feejee Islands.
24. Goro Gore. Fete Islands.
25. House of Tanoa. 'Rui Fiti'. Mbau.
26. 'Mbure' or house of a Spirit, Mbau.