HARRIS, Sir William Cornwallis.
The Wild Sports of Southern Africa; being The Narrative of a Hunting Expedition from the Cape of Good Hope , through the Territories of the Chief Moslekatse, to the Tropic of Capricorn.
- London: Henry G. Bohn, 1852.
- Not listed in Abbey; Bobins 97.
Octavo, modern half red morocco with wild animal gilt emblems to spine compartments, raised bands and gilt letters to spine, red edges and marbled endpapers. Bookplate of: 'Ex Libris Robert P. Siff' to front pastedown. 26 coloured lithographic plates. First published in the 1840's it was considered one of the most valuable and important works on South African fauna.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. Moselekatse, King of the Amazooloo.
2. Vignette to title page.
3. Andries Africander, a Mulatto Hottentot.
4. The Gnoo.
5. High Road to Kuruman.
6. Bechuana of Distinction.
7. Bechuana Belle.
8. Burchell's Zebra and Brindled Gnoo.
9. Hunting at Meritsane.
10. The Sassaybe and Hartebeest.
11. Driving in an Eland.
12. Departure from Mosega.
13. Truey, the Griqua Maid.
14. The White Rhinoceros.
15. 'Lingap - a Matabili Warrior.
16. Aigocerus Ellipsiprymnus.
17. Hunting the Wild Buffalo.
18. Hunting the Wild Elephants.
9. Shooting the Hippopotamus.
20. Hunting the Giraffe.
21. The Black Rhinoceros.
22. Aigocerus Niger.
23. Bechuana Hunting the Lion.
24. Hunting the Blesbok.
25. Hunting the Ostrich.
26. The Pretty Bush-Girl.
[Map] Africa N.E. of the Cape Colony...