ALBANIS-BEAUMONT, Jean Francois.
Voyage Historique et Pittoresque du Compte de Nice.
- Geneve: Chez Isaac Bardin, 1787.
- Abeey Travel 48; Bobins 508.
- 12 + 1
FIRST EDITION. Folio; half title, engraved dedication; explanation of plates. 12 etched plates with beautiful hand colouring added by Bernard Lory the Elder. Plates without captions or imprints, but with letterpress number imprinted . Fresh tan half calf over paper covered fresh boards, some gilt to spine. Joints and boards fresh. It is worth noting that the cloud formations in the etchings are formed entirely with brush strokes, and for the crispness of the etchings themselves. 2 x MS ownership signatures; one dated 1787, the other 1935.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Coloured plan of Nice and environs.
2. Gulf of Saint-Tropez.
3. A monument erected in honour of Julius Caesar.
4. Inside a Roman Circus.
5. Inside the Circus Julii or Frejus Forum.
6. View of the Chateau de St. Andre.
7. Prospect of the cave of St. Andre, located a mile from the chateau of the same name.
8. The Vard, a river that flows to the sea and limits the estates between those of France and the King of Sardinia.
9. The Church of Saint-Ponce and the Valley of the same name.
10. Entrance to the harbour of Lympia, with city below the castle.
11. The Port of Lympia and that of Mount Alban Castle, seen on the mountain in the middle of the plate.
12. The coastline and environs of Nice and the surrounding mountains, extending as far as the Port of Ville-Franche and the Lantern.
13. The Port of Ville-France and the Castle of Mount Alban in the distance on a mountain top.